Sunday, June 10, 2007

Service Oriented Network Architecture (SONA)

Not that we did not have enough acronyms to confuse us CISCO goes ahead and creates another one. I was doing some background research on an article published by the CIO magazine "The Rise of Service-Oriented IT and the Birth of Infrastructure as a Service", when I came across SONA. Quick search on CISCO website showed standard marketing hype and nothing more CISCO SONA Stuff . What I was looking for was some sort of reference architecture on how CISCO saw all this working. I like the concept just that so far it appears like a half baked stuff created by marketing.

From a concept point of view if the network can become application aware, for example in a branch office if the link goes down the network can cache till head office comeback on line and things like that will be a big boost for SOA as application then don't have to worry about implementation of reliable messaging and so on.

If anyone has more info on SONA or Infrastructure as a Service I would be really happy to hear it.

3 comments:

  1. You can check out my blogs:
    www.soanetworkarchitect.com
    www.sonanetworkarchitect.com

    Gary E. Smith
    THE SOA NETWORK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see the last entry on this blog is rather old (June, 2007). Perhaps you should revisit the SONA web site www.cisco.com/go/sona and in particular check out this white paper http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns477/networking_solutions_white_paper0900aecd80693c19.shtml . I hope this will be a more satisfying description of the vision for SONA as it applies to IT architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information, is very helpful my friend. Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have. Keep up the good work you are doing here.

    ReplyDelete